“First, how far are you willing to go to protect yourself and your loved ones?”
The home is our safe zone for most persons because we often don’t feel safe and in control outside the home. With the graph of crime rates and insecurity rising steadily, our safe zone isn’t safe anymore. Securing the home is no longer optional. Home security cameras have become a must-have for every home.
Given the wide variety of home security cameras (indoors and outdoors) offered by tech stores, choosing a suitable one can be quite tasking. It’s worse if you’re not very familiar with the world of tech.
If you’re looking for the right, easy-to-use outdoor camera to secure your premises, then I have good news. The Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW outdoor security camera is a perfect answer to your search. It is affordable, covers a wide range, easy to install, and gives clear images. It is not just another affordable DIY camera; it is a mix of value, performance, and ease.
You don’t have to take my word for it, though. A look into the key components of a good security camera will help you decide. Keep reading.
- High-Resolution 8MP
- 4K @15fps ultra high definition video
- 2.8mm lens
- Wide dynamic range up to 120dB.
- Night vision of 98ft powered by 2 IR lights.
- IP67 outdoor camera (weatherproof).
- One-way audio microphone.
- White Balance (auto/natural/streetlamp/custom)
- It is an easy installation Power over Ethernet (POE) camera (requires POE switch or injector). POE injector is sold separately.
NB: The last Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW firmware update was released on 30th December 2020.
Other Important IP8M-T2599EW Technical Specs
- Color: White
- Camera Style: Turret dome
- Resolution: 8MP
- ROM: 128MP
- RAM: 256MP
- Effective Pixels: 3840 × 2160
- Night Vision: 98Ft/30 meters
- Angle of View: Pan 105 Degree × Tilt 56 Degree × Diagonal 125 Degree
- Scanning System: Progressive
- Technology Standard: HD IP POE
- Compression Technology: H.265
- Edge Storage: Amcrest cloud, PC, NAS Local, and MicroSD card (up to 256GB).
- Network: Ethernet (RJ-45 10/100 Base-T)
- Dome Dimensions: 4.3 × 4.3 × 3.9 inches.
- Dome weight: 1.1 Ibs (498.95g)
- Management Software: Amcrest Surveillance Pro (Windows /MacBook), Amcrest View Pro (iOS/Android), Amcrest Blue Iris, most mainstream web browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge e.t.c
Important Features to Look Out For in an Outdoor Home Security Camera
There’s a lot to consider in choosing a home security camera. Though the list is quite inexhaustible, certain key features must not be overlooked.
- Built-in Smartphone App
We use our smartphones way more than we use our PCs these days. Not only that, we keep track of most of our devices using our smartphones. A good home security camera should be able to work excellently with a corresponding app. Almost every home security comes with an app these days, and they’re easy to use.
With a good app, you can watch live footage on your phone while away from home. You will also get alerts once motion is detected. This is particularly important for keeping tabs on children and pets.
- Field of View
This is an important point to consider in choosing a camera. Field of view is simply how far the camera can cover. A camera with wider fields of view reduces the number of cameras you’ll have to install to secure your property. Cameras with fields of view between 130o and 180o give the widest coverage. The Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW has a 105o field of view. An above-average performance.
- Motion Detection
What’s the use of a camera if it cannot alert you of the presence of an intruder?
Modern home security cameras are equipped with motion sensors. This detects movement around your premises and sends an alert to your phone. In addition to that, video footage is automatically taken once motion is detected. The video is either saved to the local storage or cloud-stored in your server.
In addition to saving in both locations, Amcrest both locations and also sends a video alert to your Smartphone. This enables you to watch the footage live from wherever you are. Super cool, right?
Most security cameras offer both local storage (using a microSD or hard disk drive) and cloud storage. A few brands limit storage to just local storage. Cloud storage allows video in a remote server, which can be retrieved when necessary. Amcrest outdoor security camera offers both.
Cloud storage is usually not free. It attracts a monthly subscription plan ranging from $3 to $30 depending on the amount of footage covered. Full 24/7 coverage costs a lot more than motion-triggered storage.
- Night Vision
At night, cameras do not see as far as they do during the day. It is therefore very important that an outdoor camera be equipped with a good range of night vision. Night vision ranges from 30ft to 300ft. A home security camera should have a night vision of at least 50ft. The Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW has an infrared night vision of 98ft.
This is another very important feature to put into consideration when choosing a security camera. It is not enough to see potential intruders; hearing them gives a better edge. Newer versions of security cameras come with built-in microphones.
Audio can either be two-way or one-way. Two-way audio works like an intercom, allowing you to hear and speak to the person or intruder in your premises. You can hear the activities of an intruder (or intruders) within your premises but can’t speak back to them using one-way audio. Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW comes with one-way audio.
Different spaces require different shapes and styles of cameras for good coverage. Security cameras are therefore often designed concerning their use. Most outdoor security cameras come in three variants of shapes. They include bullet, dome, and turret, or eyeball (also called mini-dome or flat-faced dome).
The turret design is largely the preferred camera style. This is because it is made in a ball and socket design, which allows it to rotate freely on its mount (like the eyeballs). This feature allows you to get footage from multiple directions with a single camera. Thankfully, the Amcrest IP8M-T25998EW is a turret design.
Outdoor cameras also have to be able to withstand the elements of weather. This means the suitability of the camera to a given environment has to be put into consideration. The mostly metal construction of IP8M-T2599EW makes it weatherproof.
Getting a DIY home security camera is best because it saves you the stress of seeking professional help to mount your camera and every time you need to adjust it. Getting Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW further eases your stress without compromising on quality.
Read More Our Review:
- Are Kattcam Outdoor Cameras The Best Wire-Free Security Cameras?
- Why A Home Security Camera 1080P Littlelf Indoor Wi-Fi Camera (LF-P1t)?
- Why IHOUMI Wi-Fi Battery Indoor Camera is Preferred?
- Why Should You Buy Wyze Cam v3 Video Camera(WYZEC3)?
- Any Advantage of ZEEPORTE Security Camera Outdoor(A4)?
- Why VAVA Wireless Home Security Camera (HS003) Is The Best?
- Wansview Outdoor Security Camera Review, Why Is It So Popular?